Southwell City Desk

Southwell City Desk

Sport February 11, 2014
Southwell City Desk

The first teams poor form continued into after Xmas. A tough point at home to Pinxton ended 2013, Reggie Royes & Taz Nadif with the goals in a 2-2 draw. Next up a 4-1 defeat of local rivals Calverton was courtesy of a Lyam Webster hat-trick plus a fine strike from Scotsman – Stewy Mcgill. In the following week we took on Retford United from the NCEL – two leagues above us and potetential winners of that league. A brave performance was not enough as a defensive slip from Nadif on a very wet pitch allowed in Reece Thompson – the Retford top scorer to win the tie 1-0 in front of 160 spectators on the park. The following week saw a cup hangover however with a crushing defeat to Clifton, an injured keeper not helping the situation as City were completely out of sorts following their big midweek game. Another surprising defeat followed to Mickleover RBL this time 4-2 at home – Lyam Webster again with a brace but not enough to compensate for the defensive errors that led to 4 goals. Asst Manager Ollie Webster was not pleased with recent performances ‘ We are better than the last two performances, and whilst we accept the squad is very young and they are bound to be dissppointed with Senior cup exit, they need to get over it quickly. We have worked hard to elevate this team to a top 5 status in this league and we want to get back there.’

Southwell St Marys FC

 December ended with a 4-2 defeat to Derby Deaf – Adam Allsopp and Freddie Danby the scorers in a disappointing result. Things soon turned around with a fine 5-2 win against a tough Derby Amateurs Allsopp with a hatrick this time Joe Ness with a fine brace. They continued where they left off the following week with a 3-1 win at MAFC, 13 year old Will Stocks scoring with great effort and the usual suspects Ness and Allsopp making up the others. The next result came as a surprise to the local football fraternity as the shapes played out an unusual MAA Div 2 0-0 draw with OE’s III’s. Stand in gaffer Tuzza Nussey said ‘ Its been a good period for us and we dedicate the victories to Edward Nicholas Baker our full time managers son born on the 30th December. We have to take this form into the run in and we cannot hide under the bed, we have to stand up and be counted.’ The Shapes remain in second.

City Reserves

A 3-1 defeat away to table toppers Kirton was no disgrace in the reserves first game of 2014 – Kirton looked a good outfit and played with spirit and a great attitude, a credit to their club. The highlight of that game was a fantastic quick free kick from distant from the veteran Danny Garratt – a superb goal from one of Southwell’s finest players in recent years. A disappointing draw at home to Hucknall Rolls Reserves was made harder to swallow by the nature of the visitors 95th minute equaliser – a sporting kick out of play was not given back to City and instead the Hucknall player ran through and scored in an act of poor sportsmanship but perhaps to be expected with Hucknall. The final game of January was abandoned due to a storm with the games standing a goal a piece – the game only half an hour old, the goal going to Michael Gilbert – a new signing from HMP Ranby FC, returning to the club after leaving back in 2012. Joint gaffer Paul Merryweather spoke highly of his teams progress ‘We have had to transform the reserves after a disappointing finish in a reserve league last year. We are currently mixing it with 5 first teams at the top of the NSL Div 1 which is fine achievement from these players.’