Lions take on Coastal Challenge

Lions take on Coastal Challenge

News February 10, 2021
Lions take on Coastal Challenge

The Southwell and District Lions are missing the exercise from following Santa’s Sleigh around the local villages, but now they will be stretching their legs even more with a 6,500 mile virtual challenge around the coast of Britain whilst trying to raise funds for Brain Tumour Research.

Brain tumours kill more children and adults under the age of 40 than any other cancer, yet only one per cent of the national spend on cancer research has been allocated to this area. With 16,000 people being diagnosed annually in the UK with a brain tumour, the Lions are supporting a national initiative to raise funds for Brain Tumour Research: the only national charity in the UK dedicated to continuous and sustainable scientific research into brain tumours.

The Lions virtual walk starts at Skegness and the group aims to cover the cumulative mileage of all the British coastal paths in 100 days. They might even be able to do the final section to Skegness for real.

Lion Ian Robinson said: “As our partners will be joining us, and we wanted to give them a treat, we are starting our walk on Valentines Day, 14th February.

“All walks will be undertaken locally, at least at the moment, and we’ll be adhering to all the Covid restrictions, so if you see us wearing our badges on our virtual coastal walk, do give us a wave or a socially distanced hello. We’ll update our progress regularly on our website and Facebook pages.

“75% of any funds raised will go to Brain Tumour Research, with the remaining 25% to the Lions Charity account to help our community.”

Donations to this great cause are welcome via the Lions website: www.southwell-lions.org/brain-tumour-trust

Get in touch via the contact tab on the website or email lionsouthwell@gmail.com

Published February 2021